Monday 2 December 2013

TAKEOVER 2013 Follow-Up

A few weeks ago, we were graced the the presence of some fine young artists from John leggott College, as part of Takeover Week, North Lincolnshire. We wrote a blog post about it, here.

We've since had some feedback from some of the students who took part on the day.


Laura Chafer:

Our takeover day at 2021 visual arts centre was a very interesting and useful experience. We started the day with a short presentation from a current working artist from the local area, Jo Smith, who showed us images of her work and explained some of the ideas and inspiration behind her projects. We were also joined by Hayley McPhun, who gave us some interesting tips and ideas about applying to university and which courses we might find interesting. We also had a discussion about career options within the creative arts and how both Jo and Hayley got where they are today.

Next, we presented our work to the rest of the group. We each chose two of our themes to talk about and showed our ideas and starting points, what work we had created and some artists that have inspired us. The feedback from the presentations was very useful as we were given feedback, constructive criticism and ideas for future development from Jo Smith, Hayley McPhun and the other students on the course.

In my presentation I talked about my projects on ‘Deconstruct’ and ‘Space’. In my Space theme, I decided to explore the idea that people’s perception of space may become distorted if they have a mental illness. To show this, I created several wire men and placed one inside a mirrored box to emphasise that this may make him feel trapped and distorted, and separated from the ‘normal’ world.
 
http://laurachafer.deviantart.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laura-art/





Karolina Koston:

For the takeover week I have visited the 2021 gallery in Scunthorpe. Due to the brief of the course I am studying at John Leggott College I was required to get a professional critique. I have presented pieces that in my opinion are the strongest out of the work that I have produced since September. The feedback I received was very useful when it came to decision making on my final pieces for this term. The work I have stuck by was for the theme of 'Self', this and my other works can be viewed on following blogs:
 

 
A big thank you to everyone who came along. We look forward to seeing you all in the future!